I love this time of year, but really does the sun NEED to come up at 5:30am? I woke up thinking it was at least 7:00...but low and behold it was 5:45....ugh.
Before I get to my healthy snack prep tips, did anyone hear of Panera's latest idea? They opened a regular old Panera Bread (same food, same prices, etc.), but here's the kicker - you pay what you can. Whether that be a penny or a $20 bill. I know!
Their idea is that many people will overpay, which in return will help offset the ones who under pay. I think this is a great idea. This location was in Missouri...let's hope the next location is one state north:) Not only will this help someone who is struggling, but it also gives reason for some with an overflowing wallet to help a good cause.
Now, I'm guessing each and every one of you has a cupboard or pantry section in your kitchen devoted to "snacks". Especially if you have kids. My sister's pantry is a kid's dream, she has snacks available for them all the time.
And maybe the occasional sister that drops by.
Here are some easy tips to follow, whether you have kids or not...
- Prepare snacks ahead of time - when you come home from the grocery store, prep all snacks for the week as you put things away.
- Cut and wash all produce first thing - then place in baggies (or better yet containers!) in individual sized portions.
- Assemble sweet and salty snacks for the week - you never know what you'll be in the mood for come Wednesday!
- Dedicate a drawer in your fridge just for snacks, so your not searching past the leftovers for a quick bite.
- Trail mix - mix together your favorite cereal, nuts, marshmallows, and chocolate chips for a sweet and savory bite.
- Cut up veggies - personally I don't think it is wrong to eat your veggies with a little salad dressing on the side, at least your eating your veggies!
- Fruit and yogurt - mix cut up apples, kiwi, and oranges into some yogurt with a dash of cinnamon. This will keep in the fridge for a couple days.
- Assemble sliced cheese, ham, and your favorite cracker for a quick "crackwich".
- And my personal favorite - take a slice of ham spread with a little cream cheese and pop a pickle in the middle, otherwise known as a pickle roll-up.
What are your go-to healthy snacks?