This elegant, yet simple cake, has become a family birthday staple. Many of us request it and it never disappoints! But, there is one very hard component. Read on to find out.
I was thrilled and excited a few weeks ago when I was asked by Foodbuzz to come up with a dessert post using COOL WHIP Whipped Topping.
I did not have to even think twice about which dessert I was going to make. This classic coconut cake made an appearance in our family's birthday gatherings a few years back. My mom starting baking it up for my niece and it stuck. We all loved it. You will all love it. Lover of coconut or not, there is just something about this cake that screams EAT ME to everyone.
And did I mention it's easy? A good-quality yellow cake boxed mix pretty much does the work for you. We are all short on time, especially us moms, and although this cake looks elaborate, it comes together in a jiffy. Everyday desserts don't have to be boring, this cake surely represents that.
Classic Coconut Cake
Print this Recipe!
1 boxed yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant french vanilla pudding
16 oz. sour cream
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. shredded coconut
8 oz. COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
1 c. reserved filling mixture
1. Cook cake as directed, adding pudding mix to the batter, dividing into two round or square cake pans.
2. Allow cakes to cool on wire rack.
3. Mix the three filling ingredients together and reserve 1 cup.
4. Once cakes are cooled, split cakes into 4 layers.
5. Spread filling between each layer. Frost sides and top with frosting mixture, then cover the whole cake in shredded coconut.
6. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT. Cover cake and refrigerate for 3 days. Don't peak, don't taste test, heck, don't even look at it. These 3 days of coconutty-goodness make this cake.
Now, who is going to make this for their next birthday or celebration? It's easy, delicious and grand. Don't be that one bringing a store bought cake - this is too easy!
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received coupons for free COOL WHIP Whipped Topping and a stipend. Sponsored posts are purely editorial content that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. Advertisers do not produce the content.
What you add makes it. #coolwhipmoms