This is by no means a gourmet meal, but when you have hungry mouths to feed sometimes you come up with simple dishes. I'm guessing other young mothers out there appreciate this as well?
In our house we call these "maidrites", which I'm pretty sure is just an Iowa thing, but for the sake of the rest of the world not knowing what I'm talking about today I'm calling them sloppy joes. And I did put a little twist on the sauce for the meat.....so they are a bit different.
Even better? This fed us for two meals so on day 2 I had no cooking to do! They reheat perfectly and there were no complaints by any members of my family.
This dish is also a good one to take to busy families - ones with a new baby, have had a hardship or just need a pick-me-up. Bring the meat over in a crock pot, along with a pack of hamburger buns and you're set.
Turkey Sloppy Joes
Print this Recipe!
2 lbs. ground turkey
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. worcestershire sauce
1. In a skillet brown the ground turkey until no longer pink and cooked through. Drain off any excess grease.
2. Add in the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and worcestershire sauce. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
3. Eat immediately on hamburger buns, place in a crock pot to keep warm, or allow to cool and freeze for another meal. Will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
In other news...
1. The husband and I just sat in the living room and watched our two year old take 2 HOURS to eat an orange slice. Yep, we are THOSE parents who don't give in. I have no idea why she wouldn't swallow it today, as she usually likes oranges, but she just quietly sat there chewing and chewing to the point where it eventually dissolved in her mouth. We both thought she would fall asleep at the table since it should have been nap time but she didn't. She never cried or complained to we just.....waited.
2. Anyone interested in monthly newsletter from me? Or a special one-time 30-day meal plan menu? I've been thinking of starting something.....what are you looking for? What would help your busy lives?
3. It is bitterly cold here. Our high on Monday is going to be -9 degrees. Yes, the high will be below zero.We all have a bit of cabin fever.
4. I am now 21 weeks pregnant. Can you believe it? I swear when the third one comes around you sometimes actually forget you are pregnant. I just don't have time to think about it as much as I did with the other too. Kinda sad, if you think about it.
5. Downton Abbey starts with Season 4 tomorrow night! I CANNOT WAIT.
6. Anyone interested is a FREE 30-Day Amazon Prime Trial? You can sign up for it via the link below. Free for 30 days, then you can decide at that point whether you want to renew. It gives you a ton for your tablet or kindle - 1 free book a month, a zillion free T.V. shows and movies, plus discounts on shopping. Give it a try on the link below!
Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies