Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats: Triple "B" Burgers with Hatch Chili Mayo {+ giveaway!}

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Triple "B" Burgers with Hatch Chili Mayo {+ giveaway!}


The husband had to give me a pep talk yesterday before he left for work.  You see I had these burgers planned for dinner, but I had no husband to grill them for me.

I make 95% of the meals in our house.  The remaining 5% comes from him grilling our "meats" or the occasional skillet of scrambled eggs {he's pretty good at those}.  So there was a bit of nervousness on my end when he headed out the door at 2 p.m. for work and that grill was staring back at me.

It's not that I haven't grilled before or that I don't know how to do it, I just prefer that he does it.  He must have been nervous as well as the last words to come out of his mouth before he walked out the door were, "please don't burn the house down".

Thanks for the vote of confidence sweetie.


Besides the grilling on my own, I was also a bit apprehensive on how this burger would taste.  This little guy is my second entry in the Saucy Mama's Sliced Contest.  I made it to the entree round and with the requirements of using one of their mustards and BEANS {the secret ingredient} my mind had been bouncing back and forth for the last week trying to figure out what I'd make.

I had remembered seeing a recipe for a burger back in the day that had black beans in it.  Not like a veggie burger, but regular ground beef burgers with just the added "umph" of black beans.  What the heck, I gave it a try.

And I'm so glad I did.

In the end I put the Saucy Mama Hatch Chili Mustard in both the burger patty and the sauce.  What is a hatch chili?  {Don't feel bad, I didn't know either}.  My understanding is that the heat can vary, but it mostly resembles what most of think as a green chile, with most coming from the New Mexico area.

I cannot even explain how STELLAR this burger was.  The burgers held up perfectly on the grill.  They were hearty and filling, and with the added bonus of the hatch chili mayo, lettuce, tomato and bacon - really, do I need to say more?

Oh, and are you wondering was the triple "B" is?

Beef, Black Beans & Bacon.  

Yum.  Yum.  And yum.


Triple "B" Burgers with Hatch Chili Mayo
2 lb. ground beef
1 can black beans, drained
1 egg
3 T. Saucy Mama Hatch Chili Mustard
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. pepper
2 t. salt
hamburger buns

Hatch Chili Mayo: 1 c. mayo + 4 T. Saucy Mama's Hatch Chili Mustard

Toppings: 2 c. mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, dill pickles, 16 strips of cooked bacon

In a large bowl place meat, mustard and spices.  In a food processor combine the drained black beans and egg.  Pulse lightly, stopping before it is a complete puree.  You will want small chunks of black beans.  Add this mixture to the beef mixture.

Using clean hands combine the meat mixture, not overworking, but until all ingredients are incorporated.  Using a large ice cream scoop, gently form the patties.  This batch with make 8 large patties.

Place the patties on a greased medium-hot grill.  Grill for 10 minutes.  Flip the patties and grill for another 10 minutes.  Add a good handful of mozzarella cheese on the top of each patty during the last minute of cooking, allowing to melt.  During this last minute place hamburger buns on the grill to lightly toast.

To assemble: Bottom bun, lettuce, tomato, burger, 2 strips of bacon, pickles and a healthy doll-up of the hatch chili mayo, top bun.


So, what is the second best thing after making this burger and eating it?

Well, winning some mustard silly!

Saucy Mama has generously offered to give one of my readers the same sample pack of mustard I received.  Open to U.S. Residents only.  I will randomly pick one winner on July 1.  To enter, simply tell me:

When was the last time you made your own burger patties?

For extra entries {leave a comment for each entry}: follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram.   

-OR-

For even more extra entries:  follow Saucy Mama on Facebook or Twitter

------------------------------------------------

Now it's time to pray.

I'd love to make it to the next round: desserts.  But it also scares me to think of putting mustard in a dessert!

Have a great Sunday Funday!



5 comments:

  1. We only make burgers at home when we can grill.Last week - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delish! I made burgers a couple of weeks ago when the inlaws were over for an impromptu BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William H. BoswellAugust 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

    There is a town in New Mexico named Hatch that claims to be the "Chili Capital of the World"....There is a chain of Mexican restaurants in Austin and Dallas, Texas that has a Hatch Clili Festival every year, and they feature Hatch Chili dishes that they don't have any other time of the year, and it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete