I'm a bit obsessed with this sauce. It seems every few months I tell you about ***the best*** spaghetti or tomato sauce. Sorry. I just keep finding ones that are better than the last one.
But see, this one is not only really tasty, but really easy to make. Five ingredients, two of those being salt and pepper, so really just three items to make this delicious sauce. I used this sauce in lasagna this week and it was perfect. Nice and thick and tasty.
Instead of cooking this down on the stove-top, you roast all of this in the oven. The first time I made this it was literally the HOTTEST day of the year. Not the wisest thing I've done. The husband was a bit annoyed. But, what do you do?
He was thankful for the sauce later.
He hasn't had the lasagna I made yet, but I'm imagining when he tastes it, he'll be thankful for the sauce again.
7-8 large tomatoes or 12-13 small tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic
dried or fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
3. Quarter tomatoes and lay on the baking sheet.
4. Place whole gloves on the baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle everything liberally with basil, salt and pepper.
6. Roast in the oven for 1 hour or until a bit charred and soft.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool.
8. Place cooled ingredients into a blender and puree.
9. Eat immediately over pasta or freeze for later use.
Thought I'd fill ya in our the first annual Iowa Food & Lifestyle Blogger Meet-up. The planning is coming along. And most importantly we have a date! We will all be meeting up for a day of fun in Iowa City on Saturday, November 9th.
If you are an Iowa food or lifestyle blogger and have yet to be notified about this please email me! I'll send you all the details, we'd love to have you there.
Until then, I'll be back in a couple of days with something REALLY yummy!