It's been awhile that I made a dessert.....just because. Yesterday I came up with these bars, as a combination of two other kinds of bars. A scotcharoo and a traditional rice krispie marshmallow bar. And they turned out awesome!
I do have a party to go to tonight and I might take a few of these, but really I made them just because I wanted to experiment. Its been a long while since I've done that!
Thank goodness I only made an 8x8 pan of these. They are deadly. But, you can easily double the ingredients if you need to make more for a 9x13 pan. But watch out, they will stare you down every time you walk by them!
A creamy, yet crunchy, peanut buttery and marshmallow base, with a butterscotch and chocolate topping. What in life gets better?
Scotty Marsh Bars
3/4 c. light karo syrup
1/2 c. peanut butter
10 large marshmallows
4 c. Rice Chex cereal
1/2 bag butterscotch chips
1/2 bag chocolate chips
additional 1 T. karo syrup
1. In a saucepan over medium heat combine the 3/4 c. karo syrup, peanut butter and marshmallows.
2. Continue to stir this mixture until melted and combined.
3. In a large bowl place the 4 c. of cereal.
4. Pour the melted mixture over the cereal and stir immediately. Toss to coat each piece of cereal.
5. In a buttered 8x8 baking dish press cereal mixture down in the pan, pressing down with your hands. Set aside.
6. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the butterscotch and chocolate chips as well as the 1 T. karo syrup.
7. Microwave this mixture in 25 second intervals, stirring between each. After about 4-5 sessions, mixture will be melted and combined.
8. Spread chocolate over the bars.
9. Allow bars and topping to harden before cutting. Putting the fridge, helps this process.
10. Store in a dry cool place, or in the fridge.
Who wants to make a pan of these this weekend?
And by the way, kids LOVE them! At least mine do.
Until we meet again, have a great weekend.
Stay tuned for Monday, when I have some VERY exciting news to share!