I made a special little treat for the kiddos last week. We had picked up a carton of ice cream at the store the day before and instead of just serving it plain jane in a bowl I came up with these cute little "sundae cups".
We don't buy ice cream all that often, as like most of you know, if it is in the house then we EAT IT. Like every night after dinner until it is gone, eat it. I have made my homemade ice cream a few times this summer, but more often than not I try and refrain because I just love it so much.
These little cups can be topped with whatever you like. I kept it simple and dusted the crusts pre-baking and once they were cooled with cinnamon and sugar, but I'm imagining a drizzle of hot fudge or caramel would be pretty stellar as well.
These crusts stay fresh for a few days in a sealed plastic container so feel free to make them ahead of time to have on hand.
And....I will not judge if you buy pre-made pie crust dough. I really won't. I have purchased it many times before for various things, no harm there, but this time I took the 5 minutes it takes to make the crust from scratch. If you have a food processor it is pretty darn easy.
Here you go.
Pie Crust Sundaes
Print this Recipe!
1.5 cups flour
1 T. sugar
1 stick unsalted cold butter, cut into chunks
dash of salt
4 to 5 T. ice water
1. In a food processor combine the flour, sugar and salt.
2. Add in cubed up cold butter and pulse until butter is cut into the flour resembling coarse crumbs.
3. Add in water, one tablespoon at a time just until dough comes together and forms into a ball.
4. Remove dough, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least one hour before baking.
5. When ready to bake into crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Flour a surface and the rolling pin and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Take a sharp knife and cut large circles.
8. Place the circled dough into a greased muffin tin, pushing down to fit and up the sides. Prick dough with a fork.
9. Bake "cups" for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Once cooled use the cups as a dish for your sundae, topping with ice cream and desired toppings.