I tweaked it a little bit - adding carrots and doubling the recipe, but for the most part it is the same.
I will say though, this is the LAST soup we will eat until next fall. I just can't seem to eat soups when the weather is starting to get warmer. Can you? The next time I make this, I might add some potatoes or maybe leave the "pulp" a little chunkier. This batch came out very smooth, great flavor, but I wished I would have left it with just a little more texture. My bad!
All in all, a great soup. And one that gets a lot of veggies in without knowing it!
Broccoli, Carrot & Cheese Soup
4 T. unsalted butter
4 T. flour
pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
6 c. skim milk
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. steamed broccoli
1 c. cooked carrots
5 T. cooking water
In large saucepan, melt butter, add flour to make a roux. Cook roux for a few minutes until bubbly and flour has cooked out. Meanwhile have the broccoli and carrots in large pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, drain, but save 5 T. of the cooking water. In the saucepan, add milk and heat through. Add seasonings to taste (about a teaspoon each). Stir in cheese and melt. This mixture will thicken on a low simmer. Place veggies and cooking water in a food processor and puree to desired consistency, add to soup. Stir and let simmer on low. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Also, here is a Happiness Award I received from Pam over at Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner. Thanks Pam!
Here are the rules:
1. When you have received this award you must thank the person that awarded it to you.
2. Name the 10 things that make you happy.
3. Pass this award onto 10 other bloggers and inform the winners.
10 Things that Make Me Happy Today!
- The sunshine I woke up too.
- Little man smiling away when I walked into his room today.
- My in-laws coming down yesterday and talking us out for lunch - nice treat!
- Being able to stay-at-home with the little man.
- Only 4 more days until our friends from MI come to visit!
- Having great friends and family that I keep in touch with daily.
- My two hounds that always keep us on our toes, yet drive me nuts.
- Sitting outside on the deck and reading a good book.
- Getting ready to bake ump-teen loaves of banana bread.
- All my readers who take time out of their day to read my blog - thank you!
I'm passing this Happiness Award on to:
I hope everyone has a (Happy) Monday!